Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

SCMR Snowflake pattern by Sally Magill of 'The Ring Of Tatters' done in size 20 htd 'Night Wind' by Yarnplayer(aka Marilee Rockely).
It is a brand new year and a time to reflect how to make this a better year. First, I need to remember the things that are truly important in my life-like family and friends. Then take more time to let them know and less time complaining. Second, I need to hone my tatting skills and work on more challenging things so I learn to be better. I need to do this for me and the small group of people who want to learn to tat from me. And one of the things I am working on today was SCMR.
I was given one of these scmr snowflakes from Sharon Fawns for my thread exchange.(It now hangs on my tree). And though I understood how scmr are done I hadn't tried them in a pattern before. When I got Sharon's lovely gift, I knew I had to try it and the above picture is my first attempt. I will make more because they go quickly and are fun to do.
On a different theme- Becki has been having fun visiting her friend in Wrangle Alaska and seeing the sights. She had to mention slipping on the steps at Rainbow Falls and have her feet dangling over a cliff. She thought it was funny,(I wouldn't have classified it that way-but hey I'm just her mom) and had a good laugh. She said it felt weird having her legs dangle in mid air. OK so maybe I said thank you Lord for NOT letting her get killed as she told me that. All in all she has had a wonderful time and seen so awesome scenery. I'll see if Bec will let use some of her pics to share with you all.
I have been battling a sinus infection this break so my tatting adventures have been very few. Wednesday evening I spent about 2 hours working with a friend who wants to learn to tat, on doing the ds. She finally got the 'flip' and wanted to jump for joy when she made her first ring. It was exciting and next Wednesday we are going to learn the picot and try joining rings together. I left her with homework, we will see how she does. She was very excited to learn and I have another person who tats already so maybe we can have our own little group. It amazes me how many people think of tatting as a dying art. First I'm not dead and neither is tatting! I'll keep tatting wherever I go hope it sparks interest!
I hope this new year is prosperous for everyone and may you and yous be safe.

1 comment:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Happy New Year, Sue Anna! I'm with you... I would not have been amused thinking of my daughter with her legs dangling in mid-air! I remember being horrified when I saw pictures of my daughter bungee jumping on her senior class trip! Let's do our best to spread the news about tatting this year!