Friday, January 4, 2013

Warning you to can get hacked!

So I was at the dentist and my phone started going crazy. I had missed call from my daughter who said she got a weird email from me that said I was in the Philippines and in trouble. Well since I was at tollway tatters the day before and she knew she wasn't in Philippines there was something wrong. Well yeah, my email was hacked.
I received and email several weeks ago saying I needed to verify my Yahoo account, by the way if you get such and email delete it. If you follow it you too will get hacked.
First never been to Philippines, second my family are all safe and sound, third I have yet to be mugged and I have been out of the country in my life time. So let me share what happened. All my emails where deleted, gone! All my contacts also are gone. I had emails from my mom and Gina both who have passed, that are gone forever. Fortunately I don't email passwords. And all my important financial accounts seem to be ok.
It is a sad commentary on our society to have all this mischief afoot. Lets not just think of the hour on the phone with my Internet provider to change and fix problem, but that all my personal emails had been compromised.
So if you got a one of those emails from me, I'm sorry I didn't send it. The problem is fixed and hopefully you won't get those kind of emails from me.
Word of warning if it doesn't feel right, don't open it!
Parting shot, some tatting. :)
I did this several years ago and it is on my header. Some day hope to do it again. It is Jon Yusoff's pattern . But tatting heals all wounds!

10 comments:

Quayceetatter said...

Hang in there, you are not a lone in this vicious scandal. I change my email password every 6 mo and very careful what I open, Like your message. What a great time for Jane to have her TIAS so you can concentrate on tatting!! (:
Linda in NM

Sally Kerson said...

That must have been awful for you Sue Anna, it feels as though someone has actually been in your home when that happens. I was one of those who received that strange e.mail but thought to myself I'm sure you are not in the Philippines and then was in contact with Jane.
To also loose memories is also very sad. TIAS and a giveway to look forward to from me, I hope the rest of the year is better for you.

Jane Eborall said...

That's dreadful. So glad you got it sorted, though.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Don't you wish you could track the hacker down and damage his stuff? I'm glad you were able to take care of it so quickly!

TAT19540 said...

That would be nice Diane unfortunately hackers are more savvy on electronics than common people.

Marilee Rockley said...

So sorry to hear that this happened to you. Should I still keep your original email address in my contacts list, or has it been changed?

TAT19540 said...

Marilee I changed my account info but kept same email address.

Jane McLellan said...

Thanks for the warning. Oh dear, what a shame to have that happen.

Zara Shaw @PhD degree said...

Oh my, that’s a very terrible experience! Whoever hacked you email is the meanest person for disturbing your privacy. Good thing your daughter has informed you ahead of time. I pray that you could get over this bad experience. Hope it won’t happen to the rest of the bloggers. Take care!

Quayceetatter said...

Hi Sue Anna, received your pkg today and many thanks. Tried to email you but it came back.... How did you stiffen the snowflakes???